Thursday, January 13, 2011

Exhibit A - Lemony Poppyseed Cake

I'll let you in on a little secret (to which my sweet hubby will be fully aware of when he reads this post). I am on a mission to prove to myself (and the aforesaid sweet hubby) that a Kitchenaid mixer - lime green nevertheless - is an utter necessity for my kitchen.

I give you Exhibit A - Lemony Poppyseed Cake:


I happened upon this recipe last Fall, and have been carrying it around with me ever since. I think it is quickly going to be inducted to our family "Hall of Favourite Recipes"!

The recipe:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 cups plain yogurt
3 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9"x5" loaf pans.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.

Mix lemon juice and yogurt together and add alternately with the sifted flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until just blended. Stir in lemon rind and poppy seeds. Pour mixture into prepared pans and smooth tops.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before turning out of pans.

Have a Lemony Day!

xo,




2 comments: